Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search Postal Order Society<BR>This is the POS discussion forum, with some general POS information.<BR> Forum Index

Unusual Postal Orders

This is the POS discussion forum, with some general POS information.
Forum Index
» » Errors or unusual postal orders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John_Gledhill

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Unusual Postal Orders If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

All images are © Copyright Postal Order Society and the owners.

Unusual Postal Orders

Unusual serial numbers
The serial number was normally only 6 digits, it is most unusual to find a 7-digit serial number, especially with the distinctive numbers shown below.

ex Howard Lunn, Tony Brown

Aidan_Work

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

John,
Those are very nice.

I had never paid any attention to the serial numbers on any of my postal orders.

To find a 1,000,000 serial number on King George VI Posthumous Issues is very unusual.

Which watermarks does these 2 English postal orders have - crowned GVIR or crowned EIIR?

Aidan.

John_Gledhill

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Both GviR watermerk.

Jon2015

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Unusual denominations If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Does anyone know of any particularly rare UK postal order denominations?

I was told that anything with a -/6 was rarer, with the exception of 2/6?

[/img]

John_Gledhill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

That's correct. 7/6d seems to crop up quite a bit too. They were mostly used for mail-order purchases, where 2/6d and 7/6d was very popular. 5/6, 6/6, 8/6, 9/6, 10/6, etc weren't issued after G 5. 5/6 & 7/6 stopped after G6.
The "red high values" of G5 and earlier are all scarce, even if round numbers of shillings. 21/- orders are fairly scarce but several collectors chase them. G6 40/- scarce, 1st edition QE £3, £4, £5 extremely scarce (4 or 5 known) - the ones using the G6 design with a border all round and no sorting bars at the bottom.
Hope that helps.

Jon2015

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Thanks John, that's really useful to know. Interesting how some of these denominations were phased out later on.

How about a KGVI 4/6? I ask as I have one in my own collection.

John_Gledhill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Not sure, but I've seen several so probably not particularly rare. Nice "odd" value nonetheless. Not really my area - I only collect overprinted British postal orders.

This is the POS discussion forum, with some general POS information.
Forum Index
» » Errors or unusual postal orders